Thursday, May 1, 2014

On yoga...and spirituality...

Down dog, up dog, warrior one, warrior two, crescent lunge, child's pose. 

Some of you may recognize some of these yoga terms, others may not. They are all terms used to describe certain poses done during a yoga practice. 

Whether challenging your balance, your coordination, your strength or maybe your spirit, the benefits of yoga are too numerous to mention. For me lately, it's been a place I've been going to, at the end of a busy week, to stretch not only my limbs but my psyche as well. I've found a great sense of peace and a calming effect that yoga has on me. 

For some, there is an obvious place to find this, a church or place of worship is where you seek comfort. For others it maybe in the company of nature, or fellow friends. I find myself enlightened in multiple places, one of which is while practicing yoga. Lately the positive energy in my classes has been almost palpable, something that lifts one's spirits, especially needed during this dreary period of weather we have been experiencing. I look forward to gaining physical strength with each class I attend, but also I find I've been looking inward and finding out a bit more about myself too. 

Self discovery and growth is not the side effect I thought I would find in a sweaty yoga class, but when struggling to do dancer pose or going up in wheel, I learn a bit more about who I am and how I can continue to travel in the same direction or change course if need be. There are many mottos to live by, many ways to live. Yoga may not be for everyone, I'm so thankful I found it and it found me, may I continue to grow with each practice. 

I feel like someday my soul will thank me!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Yoga, for me, is just as much about the mental and spiritual growth as it is about getting a good workout. I find I feel the most balanced after a good yoga class - both relaxed and energized at the same time. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete