Monday, May 19, 2014

The Power of a Compliment

Never under estimate the power of a compliment. 

I was finishing up getting showered and dressed recently at the local gym. I was on the fence about the outfit I had packed but seeing my other option was sweaty gym clothes, I got ready with the clothes I had packed.  
Within five minutes I had two strangers come up to me and tell me how they loved my pants, and one lady said my entire "ensemble" was beautiful! Now trust me when I say that I am the furthest thing from a fashionista. I will occasionally take a risk, and on this day I was wearing some rather snazzy red pants. But those words--compliments from complete strangers--powered me forward. 

I felt lighter as I left, and more confident in my selection. I went through my day just feeling a bit happier, and believe me when I say that I tried to pay those compliments forward. You never know just how a few choice words may impact someone. We all face aversion and various challenges. Some of us more than others, but words are very powerful. They can be a deadly weapon, if delivered correctly, or a soothing balm. They may be someone's most cherished gift, sound advice from a loved one or a lesson never forgotten. Or those words might just be someone's kind compliment that lifts a stranger's spirit, if only for a brief moment. Never underestimate the power of a compliment, make it meaningful and go hand some out today! They are free and sometimes more appreciated than you realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment