Thursday, June 6, 2013

Boston.

A city on my long list of cities I have yet to explore. Now a city that will forever have far more significance than ever. I feel like I just sat down and wrote about the tragedy at Newton, CT. Now Boston.

We, as a country, are now living, working, shopping, playing in a totally different world than our parents and grandparents did. With senseless tragedies like the now-named "marathon" bombings, we live in a world that we now look over our shoulders, growing suspicious or leery in ways most of us never even thought of before.

If our world is now so different, what kind of future do our chlldren and grandchildren face? When will we ever learn to stop taking our anger and hatred out on innocent individuals? When did extremism and radical actions replace logic and rationalism? And why? With so much sadness and anger surrounding this violence, I took some comfort in a quote I read by Mr. Rogers:

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." Fred Rogers

Seeing how others rushed in to assist and looking for all of the helpers shows us that the good in people far outweighs the bad. Maybe our children have a bright future after all. And someday I cannot wait to visit Boston and experience its beauty and history but never forget its recent events.

No comments:

Post a Comment