Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mindful Meditation

My husband and I have recently tried to begin mindful meditation.

We had a wonderful conversation with a friend who incorporates this practice into her daily routine.

She told us that before meditation she was a yeller, a door slammer. She can feel the transformation she undergoes when meditating. It can be a topic that can sound hokey, or silly until you start to read all the information regarding the benefits of meditating.

I will admit to finding it difficult to find a quiet time in my day to sit and relax for the recommended ten minutes. It is not easy with three children and a dog clamoring for attention the majority of the day. But the times that I have shut the door, relaxed and closed my eyes, my body instantly relaxes, and more importantly so does my mind. We were told to focus on our breathing, feel it in either our nose, chest or stomach. Try to keep your thoughts clear, and when a thought enters your mind, gently push it aside. Eventually we will learn to name the thoughts that enter, making it easier to clear them out of our head. I cannot say that it has become life changing, but it certainly makes me feel calmer when I've sat and relaxed.

We all carry so many layers of stress, if this will help me shed some of that, I'm more than willing to give it a try. There is a very timely article on the BalanceYour7 website on this very topic. Before you doubt it, take a few days and try giving yourself 10 or 20 minutes of total calm, focusing only on your breathing and clearing your mind. If nothing else, you might grab a midday cat nap! Who can argue with that!


Check out this article on the Balance Your 7 website: Mindfulness, meditation can help reduce stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment