Thursday, January 10, 2013

Learning to ski

I learned one thing over the past few days, you are never to old to learn! I set out to try cross country skiing, specifically skate skiing for the very first time.

It was a very humbling experience, but one I really found myself enjoying after the first ten or fifteen minutes!  Although it does require a bit of ability, it is mainly technique driven, the better the technique, the better the skier.

I am fortunate enough to know someone about to set out to do his twenty fifth Birkebeiner. He agreed to meet me and give me my first lesson at the lovely Hixon Forest.

What a beautiful place, and such a fantastic asset to this city. There were a handful of other skiers out that day, all of varying ability, all much better than me!

While I skied, my husband had the kids on sleds trying out a few of the sledding hills. It was a perfect way to spend some time outdoors and try to enjoy all the beauty that winter has to offer. It sure is a great mood booster to be outside and breathing the crisp air, and one huge plus to keep in mind NO BUGS! Better yet, it's much easier to justify the hot chocolate with extra marshmallows when you are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment