Sunday, January 13, 2013

The wild adventures of public bathrooms

Ok, I have to confess that as a mom there are few things I dread. Most bodily functions don't bother or upset my stomach too much. I don't like sassy talk or rude actions that my kids may sometimes try to get away with. But one thing that I really detest are public bathrooms.

My children, specifically my youngest, is newly potty trained and stands two plus feet tall (or short) depending on your perspective. She does not know not to touch everything she sees in every bathroom we enter. She is the perfect height to be a bit over eye level of the toilet, and the handle, and anything that may come flying out when flushed! Hugs in a toilet stall are not my favorite, but somehow hugging mommy and gasp, touching mommy's face after just going potty, have happened! Can you say Purel?

My kids are all fascinated by what color and what smell the soap maybe at the sink. At least they like washing their hands! It's also extremely common for them to describe or ask questions in an always loud "toddler" voice, many things you would rather not have all the other stall occupants hear! And inevitably, no matter how much prep and planning we do, most outings result in having to use a public restroom usually requiring  some measure of urgency.

So while I know that this is just a fact of life, and one I manage to try to grin and bear, I don't have to love it.  I don't even have to like it, especially the lovely face grabs by cute, unsanitary hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment