Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tradition!

If I had to describe a family tradition we do every year, without fail, it would be coloring Easter eggs with my grandparents.

My father's father was born in 1919 and one of this man's greatest joys comes from dunking many dozen hard-boiled eggs into little cups of color. Each and every year, through moves and new houses, my parents, grandparents and now my kids, get together and color seven or eight dozen eggs.

There is the discussion of the proper way to boil the eggs, are they peeling well this year? How does the color look? Which crayons work best to write the names on the eggs? My husband just laughs and can't really understand our love for such tradition. But we've managed to do this every year, without fail, for the better part of thirty five years.

No one gets a bigger kick out of it than my PaPa. He positively beams at my kids as they dunk their eggs in each cup to get the perfect color. He's the first to enjoy a cracked egg, always remarking at how it peeled or didn't peel. At 94 he's slowed down a bit. But nothing dampens his love for coloring eggs. And I say to my husband, the look on my grandpa's face as he looks around the table at his family is reason enough to keep up this tradition.

1 comment: