Thursday, August 29, 2013

Seasons of change

Well today, as I sit and type out this blog post, I am struck by the sights and sounds of the end of summer.

It's still glorious and warm, robins dance in our yards and butterflies are still plentiful. But there is that underlying hint of fall. A sudden cool breeze or just the way the sun hits the pavement tells of a season soon to be upon us. 

My kids are anxious and ready for the steady drum of routine, and so is their mother! So while we are ready to end the chapter of another summer in Wisconsin, how are you preparing for fall? Do you read through the Halloween costume magazines that are already filling our mailbox? Do you glance longingly at your favorite pair of jeans or sweatshirt that has sat patiently on your shelf these past months? Maybe a long-neglected closet is screaming your name, to be purged and cleaned? I have a long and lengthy list of activities to be done and clothes to be worn once the seasons change and the kids head to school. I'm not ready to pack the beach towels up quite yet, and I am still planning on wearing my shorts for a bit longer, but I'm mentally preparing for cooler days and time spent with my hands curled around a steaming mug of coffee. 

Living in a place that experiences four true seasons is comforting. We get out and embrace all the time when the heat and sun is plentiful, somehow soaking it in to carry us through during our bitter months of winter. Summer takes on an almost mystical tone, because we don't have the luxury of having it with us year round. I think each season brings it's own enjoyments, fuzzy sweaters, an old pair of boots, or your favorite swimming suit. So until summer is officially over, I'll take a few more swims in the pool and hopefully enjoy a few more nights dining outside with friends. After all, that is one of the beauties of living here, 90 degrees one minute, and minus 30 the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment