Friday, August 30, 2013

The Happiness Project

What are things that make you happy? 

I'm talking toe curling, shout-out-loud, giddy kind of happy. We recently managed a few-day getaway, no kids allowed. 

 While this is something that can make a busy momma happy, it's the coming home to three smiling children who hug with open abandon that will elicit the type of happy I mean. How can you resist the feel and smell of your kids after being away from their hugs and smiles? It makes the getaway well worth it! 

 Maybe it's accomplishing a goal you set for yourself? Completing a run or race in new record time. Maybe you went on a fabulous first date and know that he/she is THE one! Whatever it is that can bring about a smile and a flutter in our bellies, isn't it wonderful? 

I wish there was a way to bottle this feeling and uncork it when we need it! Or maybe we can find ways to experience this happiness more often. How can we make our lives filled with happiness and lighter days? I have recently started reading a book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. She embarks on a one-year journey to create a happier life for herself. She sets monthly goals, and strives to reach these. As a busy wife, mother of two and full-time author, this is no easy task. Yet by setting small goals and and adhering rather strictly to these, she manages to see her happiness meter slowly rise. She states at the beginning of this project that everyone's happiness goals, and ways to achieve them, varies greatly. 

Whatever and however we may make our lives lighter, happier, it is worth every ounce of effort. I know my toes curled and my happiness meter overflowed when I hugged my kiddos after some time away. I highly recommend this book, even as a casual read. Any tips and insight to help us achieve happiness is worth looking at!

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

No comments:

Post a Comment