Saturday, February 2, 2013

From a concerned mom and citizen of our planet...

Is anyone else amazed at the strange weather we have been experiencing?

We've had thunder, rain, now it's being followed up by huge amounts of snow and plummeting temperatures.
Parts of the country are experiencing record temperatures and tornadoes. I know it's February but I could have sworn it felt more like October earlier. It's true that global warming is upon us, now what do we do with that knowledge?

I saw in the news how horrible the pollution was in parts of China, sickening thousands and reducing visibility down to a few yards! I worry about what kind of a world we are creating for our children. Will there be more illness, more environmental damage and changes?

I think small changes at home are a great way to contribute, and try to limit more harm. I'm trying to eliminate use of plastic bags and reuse containers. I've tried to stop buying water in plastic bottles, even though they are so convenient! We recycle as best we can, although I know we have room for improvement. I'm not altogether sure what one family can do, but something has to be better than doing nothing.

In the meantime, I've shoveled the driveway twice and filled my car to brace ourselves for the weather ahead. Maybe it's just another normal February, but after living in the midwest my entire life, it sure doesn't feel like it. I know that as a concerned mom and a citizen of our planet, I'm going to make concentrated efforts to try to leave behind a better place for my kids to grow up.

Here's more on global warming...from National Geographic

No comments:

Post a Comment