Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Finding balance

If you have a few minutes of free time during the day, do you find yourself using some type of social media?

Maybe you twit or tweet or find yourself checking Facebook. I find myself doing this far too often during the day when I have a few seconds of down time. It does keep me informed of social news on a very timely basis. I have found that I stayed in touch with people or found people I have lost touch with and reconnected. It has allowed me to track events and stay on top of things in our community.

But I have found that although it has become a fixture in my life, with a computer parked on my kitchen counter, it has also become a huge waste of my precious free time. I have become somewhat addicted to checking what others are doing on Facebook, or keeping up to the minute on daily social ongoings.

I need to find a time to dedicate to doing this once, maybe twice a day. I haven't found my happy medium, but it needs to happen if I want to get my laundry done! There are more than a handful of my friends who don't follow any type of social networking, I say, all the more power to them!

As a stay-at-home mom, this type of communication helps me feel connected in a way I don't get from going to work outside the home. I do tire of reading the same posts from people. I really don't care if you just vacuumed your hallway, and I have to admit I feel like people lead far more exciting lives than I do.

There is a constant barrage of vacation photos and shots of gourmet meals and social functions. But when taken in context, it is fun to see how friends lives are being led and places and things they are doing. I have found some great resources along the way, like the Balance Your 7 website, and all the ways it shows to try to lead a more balanced life. While two of the components of balance your 7 are relationships and community, the underlying theme is still balance, and this is something that I hope to achieve with my "facebooking" especially before we run out of clean clothes!



balanceyour7com

No comments:

Post a Comment