Thursday, October 11, 2012

Well done Farm2School!

Our local La Crosse County Public Schools have introduced a new program called Farm2School.

It teaches children about fruits and vegetables, letting them taste, watch and participate in cooking demonstrations, and basically getting kids excited about healthy eating. This is such a wonderful idea, and I have witnessed it actually working.

Our 7-year-old has begun to try new foods, instead of instantly snubbing them. He still holds a grudge against squash and a few other harmless vegetables, but he likes broccoli, kiwi and green beans. He continues to sample everything put on his plate, most of the time with a good-natured attitude.

I made a white chicken chili with lots of beans and vegetables. He LOVED it! For a mom this is a home run.

I think this is due, in part, to his exposure to new fruits and vegetables at school. Seeing his friends try new things, he too has decided this isn't such a bad idea. Every month they have one featured produce item on the lunch menu.

The executive chef from Gundersen Lutheran, Thomas Sacksteder, travels to local schools and gives demonstrations using items from local farms. We live in such an agriculturally rich area, it's wonderful to see this begin to be incorporated into the way our children should eat. This initiative needs to be applauded, especially from this mother!

Watch the YouTube video of chef Thomas Sacksteder by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's great! I wish I would have had that offered to me when I was your son's age. Way to go to your son for trying new things! Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Tracy! So this Farm2School program really iis working. Actually I have a little better view of many of the school classes since I am fortunate to be the Instructor/Chef. This past year has been wonderful and with the support of Gundersen I was able to reach 11 different school with classes up to 400 students at a time. I run into both student and their parents everywhere I go and they are exstatic about tring new foods demonstrated by a real Chef. It is an honor to have the opputunity to reach out to the brilliant students. After all they are the future of America, and they want to learn! Good Food, Good Health, Good life! Chef THOMAS C.E.C.

    ReplyDelete