Monday, October 29, 2012

Acupuncture!

Early last winter I found myself in a world of pain and discovered that I had ruptured one of the discs in my lower back.

It was agony to go from sitting to standing and ibuprofen and ice became my new best friends.

I sought medical help, and after this was discovered on an MRI, I received two cortisone injections and three months of physical therapy. I slowly recovered and today I am living pain free and am taking every precaution I can to try to prevent another injury like this from occurring.

I refrain from certain exercises at the gym and try to do extra core work to strengthen my back. I try to get massages once in awhile, go to hot yoga, and overall just tend to be more aware of ways to stay out of the physical therapist's office.

I have recently been reading about all the health benefits that acupuncture can offer. At Gundersen Lutheran there are two providers who provide this type of therapy. People from all walks of life and every age have enjoyed many of the benefits that go along with acupuncture. I picked up the phone and scheduled my first appointment. This is a big step for a person who is terrified of needles!

I have several friends and relatives who have sought this treatment for various ailments, including my 89-year-old grandmother. Everyone told me of the positive results they experienced. One such friend said it helped remarkably calm her mood swings and helped her feel more energized. They all claimed that the needles did not hurt, although you may experience a tingling sensation when touched on certain areas. I am nervous and excited, but feel that taking an extra preventative step to staying healthy is worth it.

For more information on acupuncture offered in this area check out the links...
Acupuncture
Integrative Medicine at Gundersen Lutheran

1 comment: