Thursday, November 15, 2012

Feeling like Sisyphus?


Ever feel like your day or your life sometimes goes a bit like this?

It's an example of Sisyphus who was punished by the gods to forever roll a rock up a hill, only to have it roll back down and start over.

It has come to mean "unrelenting" and accomplishing nothing.
Midweek, after a weekend trip with the family, I took a look around my house and could totally relate to Mr. Sisyphus. When I left our home, it wasn't pristine, but was in satisfactory condition, presentable. I returned and within a few hours it looked as though a bomb had gone off. Piles of laundry were to be found in various stages, cleaned but needing folding, folded but needing to be put away, and dirty.

Not to mention the suitcases that needed unpacking. I also realized that all of my Halloween decorations needed to be put away and stored for next year. I know that as soon as the house is cleaned, laundry folded and put away, decorations shelved, it will start all over again!

Soon I'll dig out the Christmas goodies, attempt to complete laundry and spruce up the house. Although I know these things are a fact of life, unlike Sisyphus mine will lessen once my last child leaves the house. I only have a mere fifteen years left of rolling the 'ol boulder up the hill.

The Myth of Sisyphus...

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Great post! My laundry room (and laundry list) also looks like this. Glad to have a name for the feeling!

    ReplyDelete