Sunday, November 11, 2012

Taxidermy.

Maybe you don't or haven't ever thought much about the subject.

I grew up in a house where my father hunted for deer, ducks and other birds. He is also an average fisherman, so it wasn't unusual for a prize mount to suddenly appear on our wall. Luckily it was usually reserved for space in the basement where it didn't have to confront you daily.

Well this subject came up this week in our house. My husband has taken up the sport of pheasant hunting and recently shot a very large male bird. It traveled with him and his friend, back from South Dakota, frozen in a cooler to be hung in our basement and safely delivered to a local taxidermist.

He was very excited to report that the bird will make an excellent mount perched upon a fallen log. I have to admit that I had a difficult time sharing his enthusiasm for this soon-to-be-new piece of "art."

But, he says, he can look at it and picture walking in the field with his friends and the excitement he got when he knew he had hit his target. I guess I can see that, but what I don't want to see is this stuffed bird sitting in my living room.

Lucky for me, he has agreed that it will claim a prize spot in his office. I guess that is a compromise that I can easily live with. If I were a hunter I might be better able to share in his joy over having such a possession.

As for me? I'd rather have a chosen spot for a new pair of boots I found "hunting" on a great sale rack! I guess to each their own. When the bird returns in all of it's glory, I will post pictures for all to admire!

No comments:

Post a Comment