Saturday, December 22, 2012

Good friends and great bakers!

I spent the better part of a day last week baking cookies.

Trust me when I say that I am no baker! I absolutely love to cook, but somewhere in my lineage, the baking gene passed right over me!

As luck would have it , my mom was down for a visit, and I chose two family recipes, so she could assist me. The results were wonderful, all due to my mom's tips and helpful guidance!

The cookies were made for a cookie exchange being held at a friend's house. If you've never participated in a party like this, I highly recommend it! It's a fantastic excuse to get a group of friends together, and it sets such a festive tone.

Everyone was told to bring three dozen cookies, a container to bring our confections home in, and include the recipes to exchange. We put our goodies into our bins, dividing them equally. We had a beautiful selection and were fortunate enough to get to sample and take home some amazing cookies! I dare say I have very talented friends! One of my girlfriends at the party is from Europe and she remarked several times what a wonderful tradition this is, and one she will be introducing to all her friends when she returns home!

It's funny how things we are used to doing we tend to take for granted until their splendor is pointed out to us. With every cookie that I and my family have nibbled on this week, I've tried to reflect on the morning spent in the company of good friends and great bakers!

Cherry Cookies
Great Grandma T's Recipe
1 3/4 C Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 C butter- room temp
2/3 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C maraschino cherries chopped and squeezed

Cream butter, mix sugar and egg. Add dry ingredients and vanilla, last gently stir in cherries.
Roll into quarter size balls, press with fork dipped in water.
Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Don't let them get brown!

1 comment:

  1. those cookies sound great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete