Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Going...and coming home!

When going on a vacation with young children, it's best to set all expectations on the low side, so you find yourself pleasantly surprised when things go well.

We have just returned from a ten day trip up north. After packing as much as humanely possible into our vehicle, we were off.

I have dreams of watching my children frolic by the beach, catching fish, roasting marshmallows and singing songs by the fire. Well, we did get swimming roasting and catching but not without crying, screaming and cursing, and this was all from the parents!

I don't want to say that we didn't have nice quality family time. We created some fun memories that we will cherish. But I think there is a vision of how you want a vacation to be, and that vision does not include needing a vacation from your vacation! We are home, basically unpacked, and somewhat settled back into our routines.

It's at this time that I realize how much I cherish my own surroundings, my bed, my access to amenities, running water! I think the focus should be on relishing your every day and not putting so much stock in making the vacation be the memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment