Friday, September 7, 2012

Fueling a fire

Well, we survived our recent TRI like a Mother!!

It was a beautiful weekend and the course we competed on was fantastic! It was all set on the shores of a lake, with a relatively flat landscape. I found myself rather excited to compete and not nearly as nervous as I had anticipated I would be.

I have to say I ran my little heart out, and at about mile two that statement felt literal! It was a rather humbling experience, being passed by others who had just completed both the swim and the biking portion, and practically flew by me on the run. It did fuel a fire that I didn't know I had and has sparked an interest in competing in all the events next year.

I was happy I found my competitive self, she had been asleep for quite awhile! I think completing a race like this gives you a specific purpose and clear goals to shoot for during your exercise routines. I will never strive to compete in an Ironman, although I admire those athletes even more after a competition like this. I think the moral of this story that I "ran" away with is challenge yourself. You never know what you might find, and chances are you will be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, way to go! I love competing in 5K even if I'm a slow jogging. Feels so good when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Running is such a physical release and mental break. I run a lot and the best part is always getting to stop! Keep it up. Love ur blog.

    ReplyDelete